4/18/11

Event Report - Oklahoma Steampunk Expo



This past weekend I went to the first OSE, as an artist/vendor selling my books.

The hotel was decent enough, but for some reason management only opened the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Most of the activities were on the ground floor, but the panel and reading rooms were on the second floor.

I know there were some hiccups with the con. For one thing, the panel and reading schedules got set back one hour on Saturday and Sunday. Overall I had a good time. I sold 10 books over the con. I'm not sure how much of a "reading crowd" the attendees were, and this was my first appearance in Oklahoma City. I can't say if I did well or not, but I think I'll try again next year.

I did meet quite a few people at the con. Almost all were new faces, though I did run across a few familiar folks. There were a handful of authors, and since I didn't spend much on meals, I bought some of their books. Stay tuned for possible book reviews in the future.

Meeting all those others fans reminded me of what I liked about going to cons back in the "old days." Now that I have books that need to be promoted and sold, I'm looking forward to getting back out on the area con circuit. It's nice to have personal interaction with people you have common interests with.

It's also nice to think that perhaps I've made some fans of my own; that I can see them in person every so often; and hear what they think about my books.

My next event is a talk on Kansas 1874 at the annual meeting of the Butler County Historical Society at the museum in El Dorado. It will be Monday, April 25; social hour begins at 6 PM, with the meeting sometime later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive