10/9/17

Cord-cutting update


I thought this would be a good time to update how I'm moving towards a future where I wouldn't need to have cable TV. If you want to read my others posts on the subject, click here, here, and here.

As I wrote in those past posts, I'm more of a music person than a TV person. I've had Apple Music for a couple of years now, and I like using it. I've almost moved away from buying any music at all. Instead I just add tracks and albums to playlists, and if the rights expire and they disappear, either it's no big deal and I get something else, or it's tracks I bought and just download them so they'll upload.

TV has also narrowed for me. The only series I'm still following is Doctor Who. I'm not following any tiny house shows anymore. What I wanted to see in these shows was the completed build of the tiny house in the episode. I can see those sorts of tours on the tiny house channels I follow on YouTube. To get DW, I'm considering buying season passes on iTunes. I wouldn't see episodes exactly when they go out, but I would see them without commercials. I can download episodes if I want to keep them.

That does mean I'm not watching any genre TV. That might seem strange, considering how much genre TV is on these days. For me, most of these series seem way too on the dark side for my tastes. Others seem like variations of shows I've already seen. I am looking out for new things to watch. Maybe someday I'll find that new thing, and let you know about it in a future post. For now, for me, the screen is largely off.

I'm still listening to podcasts. I have, however, moved from Apple's podcast app to Overcast. It's just a better app for listening and managing podcasts. I'll mention what I'm listening to in the next post.

Oh, the Apple TV lasted about 3 years. I thought about getting a new one, but I passed because of cost. I bought a new iPhone in December, and I like using it to watch video content.

Here's something else that happened this year on this topic. When the new season/series of Mystery Science Theater 3000 came out, I subscribed to Netflix. I got one free month, paid for one month to "thank" them for MST3K, and cancelled. I subscribed to BritBox for classic Who; watched the First and Second Doctor stories I wanted to, and canceled. I may resubscribe to BritBox when they get the reconstructions of the missing episodes, but I can wait.

That's the cool thing about cord-cutting. It's easy to subscribe to these streaming video services when they have content you want, and easy to cancel when you want and for whatever reason you want.

Next time: what podcasts are filling my ear-holes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive